Canelo came to prove one thing!
To prove hat Chavez jr is NO WAY a match for Canelo. It is that simple. (Why? Because Chavez jr has criticized for a long time, even saying a knock out).
Canelo TOYED with Chavez Jr all night – to punish him! Canelo never sat down between rounds, Canelo had his fists down, and Canelo cruelly gave him spurts of high spirits against the ropes. It was both a physical, but more importantly, a mental punishment.
See amazing videos!
- Wow, they really hate each other. And, they bet each other’s purse on a knock-out, wow!
Golden Boy Promotions announced “Canelo” will take on fellow Mexican Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in Las Vegas.
The bout will headline an HBO Pay-Per-View event to coincide with Cinco de Mayo weekend and though it’s not the fight boxing fans have coveted, it’s one that will surely be a boon for what is historically one of the best fight weekends of the year in Sin City.
Since losing to future Hall of Famer Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2013, Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs) has won six straight.
Last year he knocked out Amir Khan in spectacular fashion in what was the first-ever fight event held inside the new T-Mobile Arena in May and then followed that performance up with a clubbing stoppage of Liam Smith down in Dallas last September. His sights are now focused on his fellow countryman Chavez.
“I’m excited to announce my fight against Julio César Chávez, Jr. and confirm that I will be prepared, like I’ve been throughout my career, to give a great fight,” Alvarez said. “I want to remind you that when two Mexican fighters face-off, a spectacular show is guaranteed, and I can assure you that May 6 will be no exception especially during the Cinco de Mayo festivities. Cinco de Mayo and Mexican Independence Day in September are important dates for us Mexicans, and I’m expecting a great night for boxing and the whole world.”
Chavez Jr., meanwhile, was once considered to have a great chance to follow in his legendary father’s footsteps.
“I dedicate this fight to Mexico,” said Chavez (50-2-1, 32 KOs). “I’m going to win, but my country will too because this is the fight that boxing needs.”
A full undercard will be announced in the coming weeks.
The weight problem:
The 30-year-old Chavez (50-2-1, 32 KOs), one of the fighting sons of Mexican legend Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., has failed to make weight for several fights, had issues outside the ring and went just 3-2 in a five-fight stretch from 2012 to 2015.
But after 17 months out of the ring, he returned on Dec. 10. He made weight (167.9 pounds) and looked good in a one-sided 10-round decision against fringe contender Dominik Britsch, setting the stage for the showdown with Alvarez.
Concerned about Chavez making weight, Gomez said, “There are provisions in the contract if he doesn’t make weight. There are big penalties.”
Gomez declined to give the specifics, but according to sources involved in the fight, missing weight would cost the guilty party $1 million per pound.
There is no love lost between Alvarez and Chavez, whose match was highly anticipated a few years ago but appeared as though it might never happen because of the growing weight discrepancy.
But Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs) said he was willing to put the weight difference aside and move up dramatically for such a big fight.
“Putting the weight aside, I’m doing this because it’s such a significant fight, if not the biggest in Mexican history,” Alvarez said through a translator on the teleconference. “It’s personal for me. He has talked bad about me for so many years. I want to shut him up.”