The Calle 24 Latino Cultural District will be the place to be this Saturday, April 8, 2017.
This month we’re celebrating the community of the Mission District, the Calle 24 Cultural District and the 22nd anniversary of the iconic Mexican-American singer, Selena Quintanilla!
The city wants to bring more Latinos to shop in the Mission District. The answer will become clearer on Saturday as the city launches a series of events to lure the Bay Area’s Latino population to the neighborhood that still has the highest concentration of Latinos in San Francisco.
The events on Saturday include two showings of Selena at the Brava Theater (at 3 p.m. 7:30 p.m.) as well as a Low Rider extravaganza. The slick cars will be on display at 5 p.m. on 24th Street and at 6 p.m. they will cruise along Mission Street between 20th and Cortland.
The campaign is being run by the city’s office of Economic and Workforce Development.
Scheduled 5 Events:
1. CALLE 24 BILINGUAL GUIDED MURAL TOUR
11am – 12:30 pm | Precita Eyes Muralists | 2981 24th Street
- Spanish & English guided mural tour of the 24th Street Corridor and book launch information for “The Mission” photograph book by Dick Evans.
2. CANDLE DECORATION IN HONOR OF MICHAEL ROMAN
11am – 1pm | Alley Cat Bookstore | 3036 24th Street
- Remembering & honoring Mission District artist Michael Roman. All materials provided.
3. “SELENA REMEMBERED” DANCE CLASS
12:30 pm – 2pm | Dance Mission Theatre | 3316 24th Street
- Dance the afternoon away to the iconic tunes of the Tejana artist. Instructed by Bianca Mendoza. All ages and dance levels welcome!
4. CALLE 24 ACTIVITY CENTER
12:30 – 5 pm | Accion Latina | 2958 24th Street
- Come support your local Mission District vendors & artists. Information center, kid friendly activities, music, refreshments & more!
5. LOWRIDER TRIBUTE TO SELENA
5-8 PM | Calle 24 Latino Cultural District Corridor
- The San Francisco Lowrider Council will cruise up & down the stretch of Mission and 24th Streets all night long in tribute of Selena.