Unfortunately, NightLife has been cancelled and the Academy will be closed through the end of March.
Please see the statement on our website for more information.
Thursday March 12th, 6pm – 10pm.
California Academy of Sciences
55 Music Concourse Dr, San Francisco.
What is Latino night?
Dance to music:
- SpiceLife – Music by Sazon Libre DJs.
- Give the dance floor a whirl with Cuban salsa dancing lessons by Rueda Con Ritmo.
Learn about chilis:
Spice up your NightLife with an evening dedicated to the cool science behind mild, medium, and flaming hot peppers.
- Start off the night with a deeper understanding of how the peppers you’re going to eat will affect your nerves with a talk from Dr. David Julius, who studies sensory systems and how they enable humans to perceive the world, including how capsaicin—the “heat”-causing compound in chili peppers—elicits that signature burning sensation. For something equally spicy but less painful.
- Learn about the history of the spice trade from another perspective: space. Catch a free live show at 6:30 pm in the planetarium where you’ll “travel” to the other side of the world and learn how the spice, silk, and incense trade routes across Eurasia influenced astronomy as we know it today. Event link.
NightLife happens every Thursday night from 6 – 10 pm. NightLife is 21+ with ID. Last entry to rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm.
Enjoy music, cutting-edge science, and cocktails as you set out with friends on a journey to the stars and to the depths of the sea. Explore a unique theme each week and after-hours access to all Academy exhibits.
NightLife LIVE pairs emerging bands and musicians with cutting-edge visual artists in an immersive intersection of science, music, and art. The only museum in the world to combine an aquarium, planetarium, natural history museum, living rainforest, and live performances on an outdoor stage transforms the Academy into one of San Francisco’s most unique live music venues in the heart of Golden Gate Park.
Food & Drink:
A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6-9:30pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace located in the West Garden, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
See lineup + details here:
NightLife Event Tips:
- • NightLife is a 21+ event. A valid photo ID is required for admittance.
- • Last entry into the Rainforest dome is 7:45 pm.
- • Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30 and 9:30pm shows and available for purchase online at tickets.calacademy.org/nightlifeplanetarium
- • Beverages are not permitted in the rainforest, planetarium, Forum Theater, and swamp (aka Claude’s castle).
- • The Academy Cafe (first floor, across from the rainforest entrance) and Cafe Food Cart (main lobby) offer sit-down or grab-and-go eats.
- • Programming varies each week. Visit calacademy.org/nightlife for the weekly event
Simply like our Latinbayarea Facebook page, and Tag the person you’ll go with.
NightLife Guest List Instructions.
To check in at NightLife on the guest list, you must enter through the Business Reception entrance located at the back of the museum on 75 Nancy Pelosi Drive.
(please note: you will not be able to enter through the front of the museum without a ticket).