4TH ANNUAL DAY OF DEAD ART CLASS WITH DIEGO MARCIAL RIOS MEXICAN SUGAR SKULLS-2017.
October 8, 2017
Time: 8:00 PM to 10 PM
Time of art class: 2 HOURS
All materials: Sugar skulls, Royal Frosting, Frosting Dispenser are provided by host.
- Hand paint and decorate a Mexican sugar skull steeped in the rich cultural history of Mexico after getting an expert demonstration from artist Diego Marcial Rios.
- Breath taking colorful Sugar Skulls have long been part of the Mexican culture. Beautifully decorated Sugar Skulls are often used as decorations on graves and altars during Dia de los Muertos or Day of Dead. Dive into the rich history of the sugar skulls tradition alongside internationally acclaimed artist Diego Marcial Rios, who overviews its fascinating background before giving a demo on the craft. Once you have got the basics down, roll up your sleeves to create and hand paint your own unique, expressive work.
- Brief Historical / Cultural Lecture (15 minutes)The host will deliver a brief historical summary of the Sugar Skull art media during the Spanish Colonial Period in Mexico. There will be a brief historical summary of the origin sugar art in Italian culture and how and why this unique media was introduced to native people of Northern America.
- Handcraft a Sugar Skull Learn how to make a colorful piece of art influenced by Mexican culture. You will learn the ingredients and application techniques necessary to decorate a sugar skull.
- Hand decorative a Sugar Skull “Blank Sugar Skulls” , frosting and other decorations will be available for attendees to use. Let your imagination run wild! Personalize your own sugar skull.
- Make Artwork Under the Guidance of a Renowned Artist See live examples of Sugar Skull making process and get inspired by an artist who has been exhibiting for over 30 years.
- Mexican Pan Dulce and some organic, locally grown Fresh Fruit will available to eat as a snack during workshop time.
- If interested, art attendees who complete the 2 hour class will receive an certificate of completion.
For more information: Latinplay22001@aol.com