Please help us share this flyer with your network. We are more than 2/3 of the way towards a $100,000 challenge grant!
Begin donating to the Mission Food Hub.
Brava Theater in association with John Calloway, Carlos Baron, with co-producers 3 Lopez Productions present El Son de la Misión, a musical suite composed by multi-instrumentalist, composer, arranger and educator John Calloway and a script from renowned actor, playwright, theatre director and educator, Carlos Baron.
Drawing on fifty years of changing musical styles, El Son de la Misión examines the history of the Mission District through music.
The work presents new songs that illuminate, evoke, and reflect pivotal social and artistic movements in the neighborhood’s recent history, starting in the 1960s to the present. Professional artists, CMC students, partners, and Mission District public school students participated in the development and are part of the final performances.
- Music composed and arranged by: John Calloway
- Scriptwriter,Lyricist, and Co-Theatrical Director: Carlos Barón
- Co-Theatrical Director: Alfonso Lopez
- Guest composers: Francisco Herrera • Greg Landau • John Santos • Alfonso Lopez
Featured musicians: John Calloway • Alex Farrell • David Flores • Camilo Landau • Luis Lemus • Alicia Mana • Ahkeel Mestayer • Ruben Sandoval • Mario Silva • Angela Rey • Herman Lara
- Featured actors: Carlos Barón • Araceli León
- Special Guests: La Familia Peña-Govea • Roberto Hernández • Enrique Ramirez • Leo Rosales • John Santos
- Members of : Bayonics • CMC’s Mission District Young Musicians Program • Fogo Na Roupa • Loco Bloco • Soltron and other Mission District music students
- El Son de la Misión was originally commissioned and produced by Community Music Center.
- El Son de la Misión received support from the Creative Work Fund.