- This event has passed.
[free] Dia de los Muertos @ DEYOUNG Museum // SF
October 29, 2022 @ 11:30 am - 2:00 pmfree
October 29, 2022, 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm
de Young museum: Golden Gate Park
50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, San Francisco, CA 94118
Location: Wilsey Court
- In honor of Dia de los Muertos, join us for a celebration of music, dance, and culture.
Dia de los Muertos (or Day of the Dead) is celebrated in Mexican and Latin American communities on November 1st and 2nd as a symbolic way to honor those who have died and their cycle of life. It combines ancient and colonial traditions, folk customs, and spiritual beliefs.
- Noon to 12:30 pm + 1:30 to 2 pm: dance performances by Cuicacalli in Wilsey Court.
- Dancers in the de Young’s Wilsey Court, 2022. Photograph by Gary Sexton.
About the performers:
Cuicacalli’s vitality, engagement, and longevity are built on the foundations of the social and cultural diversity of San Francisco’s Mission District neighborhood, and remains committed to giving voice to these marginalized communities.
Cuicacalli believes that by teaching through the arts, students make meaning of their current realities, and can become informed decision makers and critical thinkers. As a longstanding dance and music program and a member of the 24th Street (Calle 24) Latino Cultural District, Cuicacalli promotes acceptance and awareness, and actively teaches and collaborates with local artists, leaders, and audiences.
While celebrating and staging art forms from these communities, Cuicacalli instills pride, confidence, and purpose in its students.
- COVID-19 guidance
- Masking is strongly recommended, but no longer required for members of the public or employees while in the museum.
- Ticket Information
- This is a free event located in the de Young’s Wilsey Court.
- Public Programs
- (415) 750-7694