Take a slow ride through the history of lowriding with the cruisers, artists, and thinkers who helped shape it.
Dr Martin Luther King Jr Library
150 E San Fernando St, San Jose, California 95112
You’re invited to this FREE panel event where we’ll discuss what’s happening in lowriding today, and where it’s headed. Join four lowriders as they reflect on the present and future of cruisin’ on Sat., March 16, 3-5 PM
This FREE panel event will feature:
– David Polanco, San José’s Lowrider Council President
– Marcos Sermeno, Impalas Magazine
– Maria Herrera, Photographer
– Suzanne Lopez, Photographer
NOTE: These events occur in conjunction with the exhibit:
Story and King: San José’s Lowrider Culture, on display at the
CA Room located on the 5th floor of the King Library. Exhibition runs through March 31, 2019
1-408-808-2000. Exhibit ends on March 31st [see below for exhibit hours].
- So cool to have former and longtime Bay Area DJ Xavier The X-Man® stop by our Lowrider Exhibition at the #CARoom in the King Library.
- Cruise on over to see how #SJPL is working to preserve our local low riding history. sjpl.org/lowrider
On display December 15, 2018 through March 31, 2019.
December 15, 2018 through March 31, 2019
King Library – 5th Floor Special Collections Exhibit Area
The art of lowriding has deep roots in Chicano history and culture. San José was home to a vibrant lowrider scene, centered around the famous east-side intersection of Story and King. The city was also the birthplace of the legendary Lowrider Magazine. Founded by Sonny Madrid and company, this unique publication documented the evolution of cruisin’ and the sociopolitical issues facing contemporary Mexican-American culture.
Join San José Public Library’s California Room and San José State University’s Africana, Asian American, Chicano and Native American Studies Center (AAACNA) as we celebrate San José’s history of lowriding through photographs, film, and other historical memorabilia.
- Monday & Saturday: 1:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Tuesday – Friday: 11:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Sunday: Closed
Associated with the exhibit:
- Lowrider Photography by Suzanne Lopez on exhibit from December 15, 2018 through March 31, 2019 in the King Library 2nd Floor Exhibit Area.