6pm today with the amazing Michelle Obama!
Watch the YouTube coverage!
This August, the Democratic Party will formally nominate the next president and vice president of the United States at the 2020 Democratic National Convention.
The virtual convention runs Monday through Thursday, culminating with presumptive (soon to be official) Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden’s acceptance speech. [CNET / Marguerite Reardon and Richard Nieva].
How to watch:
Youtube link (above), Channel 9 (pbs), and Channel 2 (fox).
The convention is an opportunity to show the American people what we stand for as a party and unite around our shared values. In addition to fulfilling their nominating duties, Democratic Party members from across the country will also work together during the convention to adopt the official 2020 Democratic Party platform.
• On Monday night, the Democratic National Convention will get underway — not in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where it was originally set to take place, but on Zoom.
• The pared-down virtual convention runs Monday through Thursday, culminating with presumptive (soon to be official) Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden’s acceptance speech.
• On Monday, things will get started at 9 pm ET with former first lady Michelle Obama, Sen. Bernie Sanders, and former Ohio Gov. John Kasich among the marquee speakers.
• In addition to Kasich, who ran for the Republican nomination for president in 2016, the DNC on Monday announced three more Republican speakers, including former New Jersey Gov. Christine Whitman. [Twitter / Daniel Strauss]
• Scheduling Sanders on the same night as a bevy of Republicans is intentional: One source told Politico that organizers hope to showcase the broad Sanders-to-Kasich spectrum of support for Biden. [Politico / Holly Otterbein and Ryan Lizza]
• Very few people will make a physical appearance in Milwaukee, and no official party business will be conducted there. DNC Chair Tom Perez and a handful of Wisconsin Democrats will be on location, however. [NYT / Astead W. Herndon and Reid J. Epstein]
• In total, the convention will span eight hours over four days — 16 fewer hours than usual. There will also be no single keynote speech; rather, 18 rising stars in the party will appear in what the Washington Post describes as a “montage.” [Washington Post / Michael Scherer]
• The Republican National Convention will follow close on the heels of the DNC this year, starting next Monday after a saga that saw the event moved to Florida and then back North Carolina. [Vox / Ella Nilsen].