Son Jarocho Zapateado Workshop & Concert with Saltapatrás! // Berkeley
Saltapatrás is coming directly from Mexico to lead this zapateado Jarocho event.
This dance workshop direct from Mexico will be taught by Cecilia Pérez Urias, followed by live music from Mexico City-based ensemble Saltapatrás with special guest marimba player Dan Neville, and a dance party.
Come celebrate 5 de Mayo at La Peña!!
FRIDAY AT 6 PM – 9:30 PM
Son Jarocho Zapateado Workshop & Concert with Saltapatrás!
La Peña Cultural Center.
6-9:30 p.m. Friday, May 5. $15-$25, vaccination proof required; reservations recommended. La Peña Cultural Center 3105 Shattuck Ave., Berkeley. lapena.org
Saltapatrás is coming directly from Mexico to lead this zapateado Jarocho workshop, to then end the night with a concert with special guest Dan Neville and a fandango where everyone can participate!
Tickets available at bit.ly/saltapatras23
- TICKETS at bit.ly/saltapatras23 (Workshop $20 | Concert $15 | both $25).
- VOLUNTEER & COME FOR FREE! (We offer food and beverages) Sign up at bit.ly/saltapatrasvolunteer
- Proof of vaccination will be required at the door
ZAPATEADO JAROCHO WORKSHOP (6:00pm-7:30pm | $20):
Inspired by the tradition of son, this workshop seeks to share the joy of body movement (zapateo and dance) in connection with music. Always attentive to our current context, the workshop is based on the roots, techniques and traditions of Son Jarocho (Veracruz, Mexico). It is aimed at the general public, and those who want to play, sing, make and share their music are also invited.
- This workshop is bilingual (English / Spanish)
- Taught by Cecilia Pérez Urias (from Saltapatrás), a multidisciplinary Mexican artist with studies in zapateado jarocho, cello, Guinean dances, body expression, composition, jarana, singing and balafon.
- No experience or special implements required, just comfy shoes!
CONCERT (8:30pm-9:30pm | $15):
Saltapatrás is a group founded in 2012 in Mexico City, conformed by Cecilia Pérez Urias and Diego Pérez. Their music is made up of original compositions and arrangements that honor the aesthetics of popular and traditional music from Mexico and the world. The diversity of musical elements that make up his proposal derives from their own, original and striking sound. For their presentations, Saltapatrás combines music with narrative and theater, generating scenic-musical shows on various themes. For this concert, they will play together with Dan Neville as their special guest. There will be a Fandango at the end where everyone is invited to participate!